Wednesday, July 14, 2010

ADRI'S BIG DAY.......
JULY 10, 2010
Adri's Big Day finally arrived. All month, I have been talking with Adri about baptism and the Holy Ghost. I would try and read to her during breakfast about what baptism means. Adri does not have a very big attention span, so we would have to do it periodically. One day I asked her what the Holy Ghost was, and she said she didn't know. Then she said, "You mean the Spirit." I was so discouraged and then so happy when she said "you mean the spirit." Adri had her bishop's interview a few Sundays ago and she did awesome. The bishop and Adri talked and then they invited me in. They talked about being good after baptism, repenting, and the promises she made at baptism. That morning Adri opened a couple of baptism presents from Renn and I. She got a pink CTR ring and a baptism book that will remind her exactly what this day represents. We are proud of Adri for having the desire to be baptized.

Back in the Spring, I had picked out some white dresses for Adri for her baptism. She did not want them. Weird girl I know. She wanted to wear the same dress Alex and Abby wore. I was happy and surprised. It still looks really cute!! I tried to be so prepared on the day of her baptism. I tried to have the food and dinner all done before Saturday. I still had a little anxiety. I wish I could get over that. Adri seemed happy all day. She couldn't wait for 4 p.m. Luckily she had dance registration and a couple of errands to keep us busy. We had a house full of McBrides right before the baptism and we had a hard time getting to the ward to do pictures. Finally we made it in time to take a few snap shots. Kaden did not want to cooperate. There always has to be someone. Doesn't Adri look pretty in her whites.


Aunt Becky gave a talk. She had Adri come up to the front and look out over everyone. We had 60-70 people there, family and friends. I never realized how many little children are related to Renn and I. It was kind of noisy!!! Our sacrament meeting is quieter than Adri's baptism. Aunt Becky emphasized how everyone there loved Adri and was there to support her. Becky also talked about the promises we make to Heavenly Father and the promises he makes to us. She then said that he will never break his promises and we have to try to do the same. Aunt Alli spoke on the Holy Ghost. She had a traffic light with red, yellow and green lights. She gave examples of how the Holy Ghost helps us by red telling us to stop, by yellow guiding us slowly and green by telling us to go. I loved the talks. They were perfect. Grammie played the piano and Papa led the music. It was fun to watch papa. Rennette and Jordy gave the prayers. Bishop Jackman gave a few comments at the end and gave the scripture DC 64:33 which basically says that through small things, great things can happen. He related that to Adri that even though she is small, great things can happen through her. I loved it.



While I was dressing Adri after the baptsim, she was freezing. She said the water was warm. She acted like she was in a hurry. I tried to take it slow, so we wouldn't be out there way before Renn. My mom handed out cute cards for people to write down their baptism memories, testimonies or a thought to Adri while we were dressing. My friend Robyn gave me the idea and I loved the keepsake idea, so personable and meaningful.



Renn gave a beautiful confirmation and blessing. He always amazes me when he gives my children a blessing. One thing that sticks out in my mind is that Adri is a light to others. She truly is. She might not always be at home, but out and about she is always smiling and making friends with others. I'm sure this will help her many times in her life. It's a talent she has always had since she was a baby. People are attracted to her light.

It was time for dinner. Pork sandwiches, BBQ sauce, cole slaw, tons of salads, chips and desserts. Dinner was amazing. Everyone helped out with the salads and desserts. There was plenty of food. We had the dinner in our church house. We were afraid outside would be too hot and 70 people can not fit in my house. The church house was perfect. Everyone mingled and stayed for awhile. The kids ran around like mad people. Renn has 29 grandkids on his side and I have 16, plus some friends were there too. Crazy, but fun!! Adri was quiet that day. She would say thank you quietly and looked nervous throughout the day. She did request to sit by Lexi for dinner. That was her only request. I made sure she got to sit by Lexi. Adri loves to be around other people and have attention, but I think this was a little overwhelming. She loved playing with her friends and cousins. Many of them gave her little gifts and she had a great day!! Her favorite gift was some play makeup she got from one of her cousins. Of all the baptism gifts, that would be her favorite.
The kids on the stage are most of the McBride grandchildren that we could gather into one spot. I took the picture so I could send it to G & G McBride in Africa. We missed them. Our last baptism, we went to Hawaii and had Abby baptized. Africa was a little too far. It was a nice day. We love our family and friends. So many of them drove from Roosevelt and that shows great support. We felt blessed to have so many supporting us on Adri's special day!!! Thank you.


We love you Adri. This is your first big step in your life's journey. We hope you will choose the right and keep your promises with Heavenly Father throughout your life. You are such a sweet girl with a bright smile. We are so happy to have you in our family!!!



Adri has a hard time writing still. I've asked her several times to let me help her write down her feelings for her baptism day. She says "I don't know." I don't know is a regular with Adri. She has a hard time expressing her feelings. The best thing I could get out of her was that she felt "GOOD." That's exactly how we wanted her to feel. I hope I have captured some memories for her from her big day. I know she will be judged on what she is capable of in life. Adri is our special girl!!!

4 comments:

Rebekah said...

What a specail/memorable day you made this for Adri. How nice to family around too.

Robison's said...

HOLY BLOG!! Man, I haven't checked up on you for a while. Great job keeping up your blog. I don't know how you do everything. You are amazing.
I so love Adri. She is such a special & wonderful girl. I agree that she brings light to others. Her baptism day was perfect. You are such a planner and do a fab job at it. Renn's blessing was wonderful. The talks were awesome. The food was FABULOUS!! I totally loved the card idea. I may steal that idea from you for my kids.. ;) Great job girly with all you do. Oh, and thanks for a fun day yesterday. Love hangin with you Robisons.

tawny said...

Love it. What a day! Amazing. Nat you always pull everything off so effortlessly. Kudos to you and great day for Adri! yay.

I bought Jake the same Baptism book..LOVE it. We used it for FHE and read it all together. awesome. Your fam is great...lots of love you all have! good job mama. (and Renn!)

p.s. I luv your outfit. hehe! :)

Robyn said...

I have been so excited for this post! And WOW, what an amazing (and large) family you have! You all looked beautiful, especially little Adri in her perfect dress.
I'm excited that you did the testimony cards, I hope she loves them as much as Savvy! It's her favorite book on her nightstand.
Like we've said, we have a few years to the next big baptism...phew.:)
and then comes weddings!
Congrats!