Wednesday, June 1, 2011

TWO AWESOME DAYS!!!
May 16th and 17th


This man was one of my favorites. He passed away a few weeks ago. He was my neighbor my whole childhood. Our family shared a cabin with the Dixons. He was also my yearbook teacher in high school. He was 75 and he had a stroke. Dix had polio when he was a child and I only remember him walking with a cane. I think he lived longer than most thought he would. He was the greatest.

I have so many fond memories of Dix. We spent many nights with their family up at the cabin. He was always happy and joking except when he talked about the gospel. He loved talking about signs of the times. He would get pretty serious. I remember he loved steaks up at the cabin. It was his thing, a big ole juicy steak. Dennis had three boys all around our ages. We played with the boys and they were like family. I had Dix for yearbook all three years of high school. He always gave me an A. Some quarters I would work hard, and other quarters I sluffed a lot. He always acted interested in my life. He talked to me about boyfriends, my missionaries, school, etc. He always made me feel important and that he cared about me.

Renn is 1/4 shy of graduating from college. When I started dating Renn, Dix talked to me about this. He did not like that. He tried to make me think about marrying Renn because he had not graduated. I just laugh, but Renn remembers this story like it was yesterday. Haha. I still married you Rennie.

My mom and Dix always use to fight about yard work. They both kept amazing yards. Dix would sometimes try to mow our front lawn and my mom would get so mad. She would tell Dix off in a nice way of course. They were funny to watch.

I love him. He was a great guy and he made it. He's going to heaven!!

The day of his funeral I was surrounded by all of my brothers and my grandparents. My grandparents lived on our circle for a time and they loved Dennis too. I was also surrounded by so many people I love from my neighborhood growing up and high school friends. Sean sang two songs with his guitar and then the cousins all sang How Great Thou Art acapella at the end. His wife is a young widow, 65. I hope she can find happiness along the way now. Dix's sons made the funeral a celebration. It was funny, entertaining, lovely, and sad at times too. It was a great day to celebrate Dix's life. He sincerely cared and loved everyone around him. He is an example to me and I will always look up to him.

I had so much love in my heart that day. It was bitter sweet, but such an awesome day too!!


The next day I met my cousins at Artic Circle. Kaden was off and it was a good time to see everyone. Little did I know all the Hackwell women were there, except Jana, my Aunt Sandy, Aunt Bonnie, Aunt Sherri, G & G Nelson and Ashley, Pita, and Evie came too. JD even popped in for awhile. Grandpa needed another male adult there. It was another awesome day. I love being surrounded by so many people I love. It fills my love pot and makes me want to live life to the fullest. We took over the whole Artic Circle in Draper. We laughed, ate, held babies, and watched the kiddos play. Most of the Hackwells had not met Evie yet and some of us Robisons had not met Millie, Janeens new baby girl. It was fun catching up with everyone. The kids ran around and begged for ice cream cones the whole time. The workers know my cousins because they go there once a week. One of the lady workers babysits while everyone sits around and talks. It was funny to watch. They have a free nanny when they go to lunch. We talked about my mom and dad and how great they are on their mission. We also talked about Jill leaving......

I've known for a few weeks that JILL MY COUSIN might be moving to Seattle, but it's for reals. Mike got an awesome job through the Union there. He is going to have better retirement, pay and benefits. Jill does not want to leave her family at all and I can't blame her for that. But she doesn't want to hold back her husband either. I love this girl. We have been best friends and cousins our whole lives. She makes me laugh and she is such a great listener. We share our deepest darkest secrets. I don't see her as much as I'd like. Jill is such a hard worker and does everything for her little fam. She is so friendly and likeable, I know she will find great people in Seattle. We want her, but there is a bigger purpose for now. I will miss you Jill. I love you girl.

For some reason, the people I love the most always leave........ What am I suppose to be learning here?

2 comments:

JW and Alli said...

Hooray for Jilly! It will be a fabulous experience for her family!

tawny said...

Dix sounds like an amazing person who had great influence. THose come few in our lives. I think you did a great job on this post focusing on his life, celebrating his goodness. I enjoyed reading about all the great things about him..what an amazing man.