Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Twas the Weeks Before Christmas..........

The McBrides could not get a picture without crying.
It's my tradition to get a family picture the Sunday before Christmas. We coordinate and do hair cute. Some people would not cooperate. They threw fits. Renn even shrugged at it. It's not that hard and it only takes a few minutes. I love it and they should respect me for that. One day they will appreciate it. I talked really nice for 10 minutes and then I snapped. Thus the red eyes. We all apologized later and they promised to smile for pictures for all of the Christmas season. They did pretty good.

Renn and I had our 14th Anniversary, Dec 13th, 2010.
Our anniversary was on a Monday. I made special plans for Monday night. I thought everyone was going to be home, until last minute Anne planned a dance practice for Abby. We had to do part 1 Monday night and part 2 Tuesday night. That is how things roll at the McBrides. We had a candle light dinner on Monday. Roast, mashed potatoes, rolls, corn and homemade no bake cheesecake. It was a nice night. The kids love the candles. The next night we did our sparkling cider toast. A good friend gave me this idea last year and now it's tradition. My kids love it. We go around and say nice things about each person and then toast to their name after. It's fun. I have been married for 14 wonderful years. We have come a long way in 14 years. Renn is so good to me and I try to be good to him. I love him tons. What will 14 more years bring us. I don't even want to think about it.

Renn and I went out the next Saturday for our anniversary. We went to fancy Tiburon and then a work party at Stan's the rest of the night. It's so fun getting dressed up and hanging out with my handsome guy. December is a hard time for an anniversary, but it made a beautiful wedding.
Adri had her choir performance, Dec 16, 2010.
Adri has been going to choir practice Monday and Wednesday at 8 a.m. School doesn't start until 850 a.m. She has loved it. The last few weeks she went every morning at 8 a.m. She would go if she was off track too. Their performance was adorable. Mrs. Carter is Adri's teacher and her choir teacher. She does an awesome job. I think Abby might try it next year. Adri for sure will do it again. Her best buds were with her. On Dec 16th Adri performed three times. Once to the school, once to the Legacy Home (old people home), and once for the parents that night. She wouldn't even stick around for a picture after with our family because she was off socializing. She loves her friends.

Renn took off right after the performance because his face has been a mess. He did a pre-cancer cream for six weeks. His face would peel, bleed, turn bright red, scab and hurt. He looks much better now. He felt really ugly that night and didn't want to see people.

I organized Kaden's Kindergarten Party.
Being Room Mom is a lot of work. I'm going back to being a helper. I stress, but it all comes together beautifully in the end. Renn came as Santa. Kaden asked him too, and Renn was up for it. We had to talk to Kaden and make sure he kept Santa Renn a secret. He did such a great job. The kids loved Santa. He talked to each one of them and gave them a candy cane. I laughed a lot and at one point I called him Renn. The kid's didn't notice, but Renn and the adults did. Good thing none of the kids know him.

We had Santa, hot chocolate bar w/doughnuts, pass the present game, build a snowman blindfolded game, make a reindeer craft, snowball relay, and I read a book at the end. That day was my craziest all of December. I went straight home and did Abby's bday party. I was crazy. Abby had a birthday party with 10 girls.

One crazy party down so why not have a day full of parties. Abby had a Christmas Bday party. She invited friends from school and dance. We made gingerbread houses out of graham crackers. Ellie let her house crash and left it. The other girls did pretty good. It's so hard to have a bday party the week after Christmas. So many people travel, so it worked out to do it the day school ended. Abby's real bday is Dec 31st. Party every year for her.

I did all of this in the morning before Kade's party. We were ready for all the girls. We had a hot chocolate bar too!!! Abby handed out Christmas socks, chocolate/mint Extra gum, and her favorite Cookies and Creme candy bars as her party favor.
Alex made the best gingerbread house by far. She loves to be crafty.
We had all the girls bring White Elephants. Abby made maxi pad slippers and the girls didn't want to touch them. It was funny. Some girls brought cute gifts and others brought funny old Christmas stuff or made up a gift.


We played a Minute to Win it game. The girls had to get 10 jingle bells out of a box belted to their waists. In the pic Abby is going crazy. They got pretty good at this game. Abby got lots of cute gifts, lotions, jewelry, jewelry hangers, socks, gift cards, etc.... We had candy cane ice cream/ orea crust cake. So yummy. It's nice to have the party over because Christmas break is now peaceful!!!!! Kaden and Adri were home during the party. Kaden got a little crazy and had to be locked in his room a few times. He needs a brother to wrestle with. Not a chance though.
That night Nat and Boyd showed up on our porch. I had just gotten in my pj's and a meatloaf was in the oven. I was so tired and onery from the day's partying. They insisted we go to dinner with them. Renn was not even home yet. Within 30 minutes, I had dressed again, Renn came home, we fed the kids and we went out to Market Street. It was so nice to chill with friends after a rough day with kids. I'm glad I get to be a mother and make my kids happy by throwing parties, but I'm also happy to get a break!!!! Thanks Boyd and Nat for knowing when a break was needed.
Alex had a sleepover that night also with three dance friends. She kept us up all night. We heard her at 1 a.m., 3 a.m., and 5 a.m. Finally at 5 a.m. I texted her and told her to be quiet. I don't think we will do that anytime soon.


Grammie threw a party for Abby and Pita.
The party use to be for Abby and Grammie and now it's three of them. Grammie threw the party before Christmas also. The kids made trains out of candy, fished for prizes and played with yo yo's. Grammie is so good to throw them a family party every year. She comes up with the cutest ideas. Thanks grammie for a good Sunday dinner and great party.
We shined shoes for Papa's service Christmas present.
My mom gave me the idea a few weeks ago. I loved it. My siblings and I use to shine my dad's shoes all the time. My kids have never done this. Renn doesn't wear only one pair of black shoes to church and they stay nice. I picked up a whole bunch of shoes, 10 or more pairs. My dad is a girl that way. He loves shoes. My mom said it was only half of his shoes. I taught my kids and we had a fun afternoon shining shoes. We also did a pair of Kade's and Renn's. Now my kids know how to shine shoes and we will do it for Papa more often. My dad loved his gift when he found out Christmas morning. He was so appreciative and happy. It made shinning shoes so worth it. My dad didn't even notice his shoes were gone. He must have way too many shoes.


December was a busy month for us this year. We had lots of performances, and family activities. We wouldn't have it any other way. We love our families and love the spirit of Christmas that happens during the Holidays. I hope my children learned from FHE's and giving of themselves the true meaning of Christmas. Now on to the Christmas Post!!!!

4 comments:

JW and Alli said...

What a great Christmas! You know I shined JW's shoes for his Cmas present (2 pairs) and I thought of Dad, too! How fun for you guys to do that. Sounds like you've done enough partying for all of us! Now, I hope you get some snow and have a fabulous New Years!

JW and Alli said...

PS - I'm so happy you changed your background...I can read your posts so much easier! :)

tawny said...

I love your family picture on christmas day!!!! I LOVED your story about it last night!!! You are a beautiful family.

tawny said...

Ok wait, Abby's party was ABSOLUTELY darling!! You always pull off the CUTEST ideas!! Will you publish a book?? serious! LOVE the hot cocoa bar and ginger bread houses!!!!