Wednesday, December 29, 2010

CHRISTMAS EVE WAS MAGICAL!!!!!



Renn took Christmas Eve off from work. That was magical and a miracle. Renn took the kids swimming that afternoon at the Rec Center while I finished my Christmas lesson for Relief Society. I really love teaching. I love when all of my concepts come together and I feel like I have created a magical lesson. I think I did it again. Wassail and the meaning of JOY. J-Jesus, O-Others, Y-yourself. If we focus on these three things we will simplify and feel more joy in our lives. I was so grateful to Renn that he gave me a few hours to myself Christmas Eve. It was the best present. He also cleaned my car. He is so full of presents this year. The kids had fun swimming in December and Renn entertained them the whole time.

That night we got to spend a Magical evening together as a family. Grammie and Papa came with us to dinner at Texas Roadhouse. It was busy, but we called ahead and got right in. The kids love their rolls. We had fun visiting and enjoying each other's company and the food. Grammie and papa were given a gift card the day before to Roadhouse and half our meal was paid for. That was an extra bonus we didn't know about. We have not had a lot of time to see lights this year. It's a tradition from my childhood and we had to see our favorite house Christmas Eve. This house has it's own radio station and the lights are sychronized to music. It's amazing. We park in front of it and sit for 15 minutes or more enjoying the lights and music. It's a magical Christmas light house.
We came home and opened Grammie and Papa's presents to us. When we came home the 12th day of Christmas present was on our porch. Grammie and Papa had done the 12 days of Christmas to our family and each of their children this year. We got a different piece to a nativity set every night. It was so fun for the kids to try and find out who it was and to see what piece we got every night. They shared with us the true meaning of Christmas every night for 12 nights. My girls got a gift card and ponchos from Grammie. Kade got a Toy Story toy and puzzle. Kade begged everyday for a week to open his present from Grammie. Grammie don't bring the presents over early next year. He was so persistent.


My mom gave me some magical presents. When I was 16 or 17 some artists drew our pictures at Knots Berry Farm. David didn't want to do it, but the rest of us kids did. My mom got an artist to sketch one of David in Jamaica and then put all of our pictures into one frame. It's such a keepsake. I love it. It's of all of my siblings when we were teens. We also got a clock that says "Families Are Forever", a bushel basket and candle that said don't hid your light under a bushel, the Holy Bible, gift card, money and more. The gifts were so thoughtful and I loved everyone of them. On to the most Magical part of the night. The kids opened their one present on Christmas Eve, PAJAMAS. How do they know every year it's pajamas. I loved that tradition growing up and it's a keeper for my kids. I read "I Believe in Santa," the "Christmas Sweater," we watched a video on the Nativity, and watched Forgotten Carols that my parents gave to us. Renn and Abby loved the Christmas Sweater book. I Believe in Santa is my favorite book ever. Hopefully my kids could feel the MAGIC in the air and feel the Christmas spirit. It's my responsibility as a mother to teach them the true meaning and I hope through my testimony of Christ they could feel the spirit that night. We had to end Forgotten Carols at Intermission. It was 930 p.m. and the kids needed some sleep. We had family prayer and all said good night. The girls all slept in Alex's room and Kade slept in his room.


I remember all of my childhood traditions and the MAGIC I felt every holiday season. We had pj's Christmas Eve, Nelson family party with pinata Christmas Eve, Christmas dinner with Grandma Thelma Robison and clan, Forgotten Carols, different Christmas plays and sing a longs. My mom and dad always decorated the inside and outside of our house and won contests. We always felt the Christmas spirit. Our parents taught us to give of ourselves to others. I hope my kids will always remember their traditions and carry them through generations. Christmas is about Christ, his life and his example. May we always try to walk in his footsteps. I love this time of year. I hope my kids will cherish it too.

1 comment:

tawny said...

Love your MAGICAL traditions! Your Christmas eve was so magically perfect! YOu have great traditions. I love the J. O. Y! A great teaching tool for the kiddos! Love all your pics! It is like I am there!!