Wednesday, April 20, 2011

As one comes home, another one leaves.......




My kids are lucky to have great examples in their lives. Grandma and Grandpa McBride came home from Africa on March 22, 2011. What an awesome experience and mission they had. Their first mission was to the Laie, Hawaii Temple three years ago. They were spoiled there. This mission was so different, but they loved it the most. They want to go back very soon. They got to baptize and convert a lot more in Africa than in Hawaii. I think their heart belongs in Africa with the people there.

We had fun making posters and getting ready for the big appearance. The whole McBride clan were waiting. It was quite the sight to see. The security kept telling us to back up and everyone had to stop and stare at the spectacle we made. Rena's sister and hubby were there too. We waited and waited. They were the last ones of the plane and they must have stopped in the bathroom to freshen up. They took so long.

It was a teary reunion. I'm sure the grandkids all looked a little more grown up. There were lots of hugs and tender moments. G&G both have lost some serious weight. Renn felt like he was going to crush his dad. The kids loved being with their cousins and holding lots of welcome home posters.
G&G brought each grandchild home a safari hat. They all wore them out of the airport. All the McBrides stayed in a hotel because the flight got in at 8 p.m. We knew they would be too tired to drive home to Roosevelt. We went and visited with everyone in the lobby of the hotel. G&G told all of us that they really wanted salad, they can't eat lettuce in Africa, and a chocolate shake from McDonalds, they ate those on their mission to Hawaii. When they walked in the hotel, a salad and chocolate shake were awaiting them. In Africa they ate a lot of pork and beans which they turned into chili haystacks minus the lettuce. Interesting! We all talked for a few hours and heard lots of stories. Mom cried a few times. She loved her mission so much and missed the people already. We had to leave and get home by 11 p.m. Our kids had school. It was sad to leave. The stories were so fun.



Grandpa was a Branch President over in Africa for awhile. They organized three branches. One branch had 20 people when they arrived and 120 when they left. I hope it keeps growing. They taught English, survival skills, the gospel, organized YM, YW, primary, Relief Society, Priesthood, taught the women how to make and sell African paper beads, rescued people from jail and hospitals, and served from sun up till late nights. I loved reading their letters every week and feeling their spirit. They have the mission bug and are such a great example of how we should live our lives. Welcome Home. We missed you and love you. This Easter weekend is their homecoming. More pics and stories to come.



G&G Robison had their farewell, March 27th, the Sunday after G&G McBride came home. Their farewell was awesome. Many of their good friends came and family. My mom sang a beautiful primary song during her talk. Adri sang quietly along with her in my ear. It was sweet. My dad talked about seven T's to the gospel. It was a great Sacrament meeting. I asked my kids later that day what they learned from Grammie and Papa in sacrament. One of them said "That Matthew came home from a mission and then went back again." You spilled the beans Grammie. Now they know. Haha. It was so funny.



My parents did not have a dinner because they follow the rules to the T. Remember when the church came out and said not to do big farewells. Well they had to obey. It was kind of sad for me. I wanted a family gathering. My mom regreted it too. When they come home, there will be a homecoming even if I do it myself. We missed Alli and her little family. Will we ever see them again?
They left April 18th for the MTC. My parents have wanted to go on a mission forever. It's always been my dad's dream. His dream is finally coming true. They are going to be serving in the San Diego, California area for 14 months in the CES division of the church. Most likely they will be serving in the institute and single wards area. Who knows. It could all change when they get there. Renn's parents thought they were going to be in the mission office. They were 8 hours away from there and on their own with a few Elders.
I had a dinner for all of the Robisons last Sunday right before they entered the MTC. We celebrated Brayden's 5th bday, with the amazing Lego cake Heather made and my mom filled eggs with money for an Easter Egg Hunt. Many times when the Robisons get together, it turns into wrestling. It happened again. It was a fun afternoon, and busy too. Everyone keeps asking if I'm going to die without them. I am so excited for them, I really feel fine. I can still call and email my mom, which is how we mostly communicated anyways. I know they will be awesome missionaries. They already have been up in DayBreak. We will be visiting!!! We will pray for you Grammie and Papa.


We are so grateful for our parents and our children's grandparents for the example they set for us in our lives. They have strong testimonies and share them with us often. I hope and pray my children will remember their service and want to serve also. What an awesome experience. Renn loves talking about going on a mission with me too. He thinks if it's not primitive and cool, then we will say no. Haha. That's a long ways off. Our prayers don't have to change. My kids are so use to praying for grandparents on missions and it will continue...........

2 comments:

Kevin and Jeni said...

How cool for your kids! They have such great examples :) You and Renn are included in that.

I feel like we're already on our first "mission" with our whole family. We've had a blast, even though Kansas is only a little primitive:)

tawny said...

I love the pic our your parents! so sweet.

And you know, I feel so lucky to to have such great examples in our lives! We have both had our parents serve missions. It has really changed my kids. And I can tell it did yours. The pics at the airport made me weepy. The reunion is so great because of the sacrifice. Fabulous days ahead for your parents...they are amazing people. Love this post.